Check out this page, and the links from this page, to learn about the exciting world of obstacle course racing in New Zealand.
What is Obstacle Racers NZ?
Obstacle Racers NZ (ORNZ) is your premiere resource for all things obstacle course racing and mud running in New Zealand!
On the Obstacle Racers NZ website you will find:
- New Zealand’s most comprehensive calendar of obstacle events
- New Zealand’s most comprehensive news hub for obstacle sport news: covering obstacle course racing, mud running, parkour and freerunning, Ninja Warrior, adventure racing, and more
- New Zealand’s best resource for obstacle racing articles, guides, race reviews, training advice, and other content
What is Obstacle Course Racing?
Obstacle course racing (OCR) combines trail running, road running, and cross-country running with obstacles. It’s a new-comer to the running industry, but its growth has been remarkable. In 2015, 4.9 million people participated in obstacle races worldwide, pushing it beyond the popularity of half-marathons and marathons combined and leading some to label it “the fastest-growing sport in history” and the “number one mass-participation sport in the world.”
New Zealand has events across the country, from Northland to Southland. These events are organised by a range of organisers: event management companies, regional sport trusts, charities, schools, venue managers and various other organisations. Participation numbers in New Zealand, from obstacle racing as a unified activity, have not yet been collected. But events regularly draw upwards of 400 runners, with events in the Auckland region drawing upwards of 2,000.
The majority of events in New Zealand could be considered local mud runs (being held annually in one location), but international-scale race series have ventured to the New Zealand market: Tough Mudder and Warrior Dash have held New Zealand races, and Tough Mudder is currently holding an event in Auckland, 2017. In 2017 New Zealand gained its first Obstacle Course Racing World Championship qualifying event, and runners have represented New Zealand in the World Championship from 2015 onward.
As obstacle course racing continues to grow and solidify worldwide, ORNZ is bringing you all the latest on the exciting activity in New Zealand! We’ll see you at the next race!!
Learn more about obstacle course racing:
- Obstacle Racing in NZ – an introductory guide, originally published in Kiwi Trail Runner Magazine
- Mud Runs vs Obstacle Course Races – a guide to the different event types: mud runs and OCRs
- Workout of the Month – how does one train for OCR? Each month ORNZ asks a different athlete, coach or race organiser for their suggestion
Where To From Here?
Check out these resources from ORNZ:
- Check out the latest news and articles
- Read the featured articles (included in the sidebar on every page)
- Browse through NZ’s most comprehensive list of upcoming obstacle events, and register for a race!
- Stay in the loop by following ORNZ on social media, joining the newsletter, or subscribing to the RSS feed
- Feel free to get in touch