Spartan Auckland 2020 has been postponed indefinitely.
SPARTAN AUCKLAND RACE COVID-19 UPDATE
Greetings New Zealand Spartans,
It’s great news that the COVID-19 restrictions are lifting and that New Zealand is returning to normal. Congratulations, you are leading the world!!
We have been holding off on making a final decision for our Spartan Auckland July event, but unfortunately due to the lack of lead time we are going to need to reschedule.
The positive aspect is that we are definitely rescheduling our Spartan event and are working alongside Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED) to lock down on a new date as soon as possible.
To confirm, all registrations will be transferred free of charge to the new date. No alternative event transfers or refunds will be addressed until a new date is announced.
Stay safe and stay active
The postponement was delivered while New Zealand is under Alert Level 2 which places significant restrictions on an event like Spartan: gatherings are restricted to 100 people, sport events have limitations, and the border remains under tight control. While New Zealand may move to Alert Level 1 by the original date of the event there would be, as stated in the postponement announcement, not enough lead time to properly hold the event.
Spartan Auckland was originally scheduled for July 25-26th 2020. A new date has not yet been announced.
All registrations will be transferred free of charge to the new date.
In an interview Chris Heverin, Managing Director of Spartan Australia & NZ, acknowledged the postponement and said it “opens up more scope in New Zealand”.
Spartan Auckland Virtual Event
Postponed Spartan events globally have been replaced by virtual equivalents, “For every event we postpone, we’ll hold a Spartan Virtual Race, powered by Rakuten — same weekend, same distance, same obstacle count. These events are open to racers around the world. No registration is required.” Although there’s been no official confirmation yet, it’s expected that Auckland will have a virtual event option on the original dates of July 25-26.